Tuesday, April 13, 2010

More Bore

It has not been a good week for my training.


I had a good swim and have been continuing with my push ups – (I have passed the 100 mark!) but I cannot run. I have terrible shin splints in my left leg that are causing me all sorts of grief.

My plan is to rest a couple of weeks - I can continue to swim for an aerobic workout and will keep up the upper body and core strength workouts. This should buy me some time to let my leg start to heal. I have been doing a lot of reading about shin splints and see that there is not much else I can do at this point other than ice it and rest it.

Part ii of my plan is to buy new trainers. I don’t think that ones that I have are doing me any good and are probably past their best anyway. I really want to get some expert advice on the shoes, but it is very difficult to find in Malaysia. I went into two or three generic shoes stores in KL this week, including the addidas and Nike stores and both were staffed by retail assistants who knew nothing about their products or the different shoe types in stock. The third store was a large sports department store with all of the good brands – the above two as well as New Balance, Mizuno and Asics. The guy in store who asked me if I wanted help, responded to my question about stability versus cushioning with a question about what colors I liked…. Not much use to anyone.

The other thing that set me back was a skin-full of margaritas on Saturday night which meant that Sunday, normally a good long-workout day was a complete write-off. I doubt that had any real impact on the shin splints, but I am off the booze now for a couple of weeks and see if it all comes together

No comments:

Post a Comment