Thursday, March 4, 2010

A new lease of life

In the last week of February I read a few blogs about running. I spent a couple of hours going through the different sites clikcing link to link reading about different peoples amazing adventures and their individual spirits of competitiveness and focus. The time invested did 2 things for me: it gave me a really good boost to get back on it and start to increase the miles and sign up for some races; and it reminded me that for most of the world's population, completing a marathon is an amazing feat in itself. Of all the people who do complete a marathon, the minority who go sub-four hours (never mind sub three hours) are all amzingly fit/and or have the time to run 15 hours a week and/or are freaks of nature. That being said, 3:45:00 is not impossible - i just need to remind myself when I read some of these blogs that I need to stop comparing my routine to theirs and ensure that I have a training regime that works for me.

The one thing that the blogs did do for me was to remind me of the importance of good steady base-building. I was reading a blog (and i am sorry that I cannot remember the reference) but he recorded he bpm, pace and time for every run. He was building a really solid base by putting in the slow miles, 145 bpm at a time.

I am writing this today from a hotel in Singapore where I have just been for my second outdoor-run of the week. Good solid sixty minute runs, moderate pace, low bpm and it feels great. I need to do more of this. I had also forgotten how much I like running in and around the botanic gardens in Singapore. I was amazed at how many other runners were out! It has been six months since I moved from Singapore and I miss living here!!

No comments:

Post a Comment