Sunday, August 7, 2011

New York Training Update - 13 weeks to go

This weekend saw me complete a 23km run in fairly hot conditions, but with a steady strong pace, lots of water and energy in the tank at the finish. Thanks in part goes to my now 'official' training partner Will as he accompanied me for about 17km in the middle of the run and kept my pace steady and saved me from the pack of wild monkeys we passed at about the 10km mark.

We took a different route this time and climbed a very steep jungle stairs to get to a reservoir in Ampang, just outside of KL. When you get up there is a really great 1.2km trail in the jungle around (as the name suggests) a reservoir. The track is mostly shaded and very flat and really provides a nice contrast to the roads. We did four laps, which might seem a little repetitive, but there are so many shadows and roots to look out for that it could be a straight 6km path.

Unlike my last LSD with Will, i really made sure i took in enough fluids and drank about 3 liters in total. This made me feel strong and meant that by the end my legs were tired but not sore. The last couple of km got tough, particularly as the sun came out, but i was thinking about the fact that NY is only 13 weeks to go and my weekly totals is only up to around 45km and i need to do a LSD every week for the next 7 or 8.

All in all the run filled me with some confidence. It wasn't fast, but that was never the intention. I got through it, felt good and rewarded my self with a bagel, cheddar and sunny side eggs when I got home. Just the treat! 

No comments:

Post a Comment